Sunday, August 15, 2010

Zea mexicana




my father's family has fairly deep roots in jasper county indiana, and while my paternal grandfather's generation left the farm my paternal grandmother's did not...i remeber spending time on my great uncle tom cooper's farm, and though my freat uncle floyd mccolly was a cabinet maker, his shop was in fair oaks ( before the dairy...doubtlessly the fair oaks of my childhood is long gone ) so as a child and early teen i had a fairly wide experience of rural indiana...this being so i should not be surprised at the teosinte's behavior today, but i am...when i took the top photo at 8:47 this morning the plant was around 7 1/2 inches tall...at 5;4:41 this afternoon it is about 9 1/4 inches tall...1 3/4 inches of growth in a day...you can watch maize grow in the fields around my great-grandparents old homesteads today if you have the time...i used to once...this project is bringing all sorts of roots to light.

No comments:

Post a Comment